Friday, June 23, 2006

Call Me Wendell Whiner, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The HTML Ordered-List Tag

To continue the story:

  1. Woken up at 7am by the very loud cleaning staff in the halls of the Spring Hill Suites.
  2. Eat free breakfast and read free USA Today.
  3. Brush teeth with free toothbrush and free toothpaste.
  4. Decide to go pick up bag and return to hotel to shower and change, figuring that will get me to point where 5pm Nantucket flight seems sane.
  5. Wait 45 minutes for "every 30 minutes" airport bus.
  6. Hotel van appears, drops off passenger, is now empty, and driver says he's not taking us to airport, someone else will, etc.
  7. Ask front desk what the deal is.
  8. "It's not my job to keep track of where the bus is."
  9. *sigh*
  10. A major argument ensues.
  11. After 90 total minutes, already-packed-full bus shows up. We all shove on anyway.
  12. Bus to monorail to Terminal C. It's 11am now. Even if I was willing to wait for another bus, it's too late to return to hotel before 1pm late checkout.
  13. Airport luggage people explain that luggage cannot be retrieved as it is already loaded on to 11:30am flight to Nantucket; only way to get it off is to cancel my 5pm reservation. I don't want to do that, since a fresh shirt might have me ready to wait for the flight. Peri, the best lugguage agent in the world, takes pity on me and gets them to pull my bag.
  14. Call my travel agent while waiting for bag to discuss options. Newark-Boston flights are essentially full all day, all other Nantucket flights are booked solid, thunderstorms expected throughout the region, etc., etc.
  15. Get bag and change into fresh shirt. Aaaaaaaaahhhh....
  16. Fresh shirt not enough to make me want to risk another night in New Jersey.
  17. Find the extemely helpful and well-organized Newark ground transportation desk, who are happy to make arrangements for a 12:15 vanpool to La Guardia. You wait in special heavily air-conditioned area and they come find you when your van arrives.
  18. Call TA and get reservation on 3pm shuttle back home.
  19. Call Nantucket to cancel. Weather observation there now is soupy and non-encouraging, so new plan seems wise. Still feel a little bad for not risking it.
  20. Van has not shown up by 12:40.
  21. Desk calls driver, who forgot me.
  22. Last seat in van. Really more of a half-seat. No seatbelt.
  23. Van covers more ground in one hour than this jetsetter had in the last 24.
  24. Back to semi-home in the shuttle terminal. Say "hello" to familiar ground staff, snag upgrade, walk straight on to airplane, leave right on time for 30 minute flight to Boston.
  25. You thought it was that easy, right? Indefinite ground hold. Another two hours in another penalty box, but they're not going to cancel this flight, right?
  26. Right?
  27. Right. Contrary to whinging from someone with a really really important meeting who wanted to return to the gate so he could videoconference in, we waited out the delay and made it back to the drizzly Hub.
  28. Cab it back to scenic south Waltham.
  29. Check status of the 5pm flight to Nantucket I had been booked on.
  30. It had been cancelled.


Lucy said...

You could always vacation in Great Barrington instead!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 1:35:48 AM  
Scott said...

I get upset if I hit the light in Sherburne . . .

Saturday, June 24, 2006 9:59:22 AM  
James said...

Well, the way I think about it is that this is the first time in 3.5 years of heavy travel that I've been stuck somewhere overnight, and it was really only because I was trying to get to Nantucket -- my standard flight back to Boston on Thursday night had no problems. So the amortized aggrivation is pretty small.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 10:27:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home